Department of Education Provides Over $430 Million to Schools Ahead of Full Resumption of In-person Classes | News

The Department of Education is to provide schools with $430,850,000 to help offset costs associated with fully resuming in-person instruction, which is due to begin Monday, March 7.

The ministry indicates that the sums will be transferred to the schools’ accounts by Friday, March 4.

He said heads of kindergartens, primary and secondary schools were assured of additional financial support and resources at a meeting held last week on Thursday.

He noted that the virtual meeting brought together more than 700 school representatives.

In addition, the ministry says it will continue to purchase and deliver furniture to kindergartens and primary schools based on expressed needs.

Portfolio Minister Fayval Williams noted that the Department is committed to providing schools with:

Test kits – 5,000 have already been distributed and

400,000 masks which are already in hand and will be distributed at the regional level

Meanwhile, Dr Nicole Dawkins Wright from the Department of Health and Welfare, who also spoke at the meeting, said that with all pupils now in school and the system of social distancing is effectively relaxed, revised entry control, student monitoring and management will be required.

She said schools will only be required to do a quick scan of students during entry and screening processes throughout the day for signs or symptoms of illness and record students’ temperatures throughout the day. above 37.5 degrees Celsius.

If it is 38 degrees and above, they should be moved to isolation rooms for further assessment guided by the sick person protocol already shared with schools.

Students will still be encouraged to frequently sanitize their hands and wear masks to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Message us on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at [email protected] or [email protected]