NEP stands for “National Education Policy 2020” – A policy that brings wonders in the fundamentals of education. It creates a radical transformation in the lives of many school and college students by bringing creativity, learning, experiences, visualization and art into the education sector.
From the beginning, NEP 2020 has kept changing with the changing time period.
Remarkable Changes to Education Structure (10+2) through NEP 2020 –
Implementation of the 5+3+3+4 structure (Prior / Pre Education and Higher Education) –
This structure involves the different age group of a child to perform the school life span. This concept infers the exact age/stage of how a child should receive the best quality education. The age group is mentioned as –
Between 3 and 8 years old
Between 8 and 11 years old
Between 11 and 14 years old
Between 14 and 18 years old
It consists of the 12 years of a child’s life devoted to education as well as 3 years for prior education.
Let us understand this concept in the form of a table –
Preschool (Anganwadi/Play School)
Class 1 to 2 Between 3 and 6 years old
Between 6 and 8 years old
Class 3 to 5 Between 8 and 11 years old
Class 6 to 8 Between 11 and 14 years old
Class 9 to 12 Between 14 and 18 years old
The objective of this concept is to offer a preliminary education to a child and then to aim at the higher education of the children. A child can enter the world of creativity and learning from the age of 3. He can create and choose a better world for himself.
Framing the mother tongue / regional language as a means of instruction
It is a very respectful gesture to implant the mother tongue in the new education system. With this concept, the education system aims not only to promote the mother tongue but also to give importance to the different regional languages. Students are now able to learn concepts in different languages up to 5th grade. It also helps students understand the importance and roots of their mother tongue.
Various options for undergraduate students
For the undergraduate, students can opt for the courses of their choice for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. They can aim to complete the desired courses in 1 year by obtaining a certification over a period of time, a diploma to follow a 2-year course, and then 3 or 4-year courses. It will also help students choose the best course based on their abilities.
Provide equal education to all genders and all categories
This idea is to promote the education of all sexes, castes, categories and handicaps. Everyone is equal in terms of getting a proper education. Education is a right and a power of every child in this world. This concept helps in providing educational facilities to different castes, categories or genders. This concept still believes in bringing up children who are neglected by society due to their low caste, transgender and with any type of disability.
Other changes implemented via NEP 2020
1. Final number of entrance exams held for students to gain admission into different recognized universities.
2. Produce different ways of learning like online courses.
3. Introduce digital education in an online platform.
4. Teachers to be promoted or transferred on the basis of a merit list.
5. Turn learning into a fun and entertaining concept.
Conclusion of NEP 2020
● Implementation of skills, understanding and new ways of learning in every child.
● Put more emphasis on practical learning rather than theoretical learning.
● Every student can benefit from a quality education, regardless of caste, gender or disability.
● Different learning techniques and experiences used by teachers.
● Freedom to choose any subject/sector without limits.
● Give importance to Indian languages and ethics.
● Equality of Caste, Gender and Class.
● Overall development of the education system.
Open in app