The government plans a dynamic education system

He said the current curriculum review will focus on professional skills to drive innovation, which will help learners achieve their goals.

Majaliwa made the remarks this weekend during the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) under the theme “Reimagining the future for every child”.

He said the government has decided to revise the curriculum so that it fits the current system of molding graduates so that they acquire sufficient skills to start businesses or projects instead of waiting for more. to be employed.

“We are collecting views from stakeholders to be incorporated into our new envisaged curriculum which, among other things, students who complete secondary education can easily initiate projects based on the skills learned,” he insisted.

The prime minister said the days of graduates fighting for white-collar jobs are over, saying it’s high time they ventured into career, technology and innovation opportunities as the government puts in place the necessary infrastructure for businesses.

He said the government wants to move away from the current trend of students being given historical or other knowledge who after graduation cannot use the knowledge for self-employment.

Majaliwa hinted that the revised curriculum will include 60% hands-on learning, with theory taking the remaining 40% to promote employment and economic development.

He added that the government has decided to construct and equip with modern training equipment the vocational training centers built in each district, starting with 28 budgeted for this financial year.

“Children should be watched to identify their talents from the early stages, parents should help them when they are in schools where they can be well trained for prosperity,” Prime Minister Majaliwa said.

Regarding the re-admission of school dropouts into the formal education system, Majaliwa said the government is working on guidelines which will also give an opportunity to other children who have missed school due to other various factors.

School absenteeism, school pregnancy, poverty and failure to pass the seven national standard exams are among the factors of school dropout.

He said the aim of the decision-making is to give Tanzanian children a greater chance to continue their education, noting that the issue is focused on granting opportunities for them to decide.

“For those who cannot go back to primary school, an alternative education system has been put in place to equip them with skills that can help them and their children…this shouldn’t be us worry to the point of having discussions about why teenage mothers should go back to school.”

He expressed the government’s commitment to work closely with UNICEF to create a conducive learning and teaching environment for students to achieve their goals and fulfill their dreams.

For her part, the UNICEF representative in the country, Shalini Bahuguna, commended the government for the free education policy which gave children from poor households a chance to access secondary education.

“You have put into practice the policy of the right to education with free education because it gives everyone a chance, regardless of family background,” she insisted.

She said the government had managed stunting well and was at the forefront of progress in immunization.